Named after Sir Walter Scott’s first novel, Paddle Steamer Waverley was built on the Clyde in 1947 – to replace the 1899 Waverley that sunk off Dunkirk during active war service in 1940.
Celebrating 40 years’ sailing in preservation, Waverley has been operated by a charity since 1975 and preserved as a heritage asset for the benefit of communities around the UK. A major £7m two-stage rebuild was undertaken in winters of 1999/2000 and 2002/2003 in Great Yarmouth with the support of the National Heritage Lottery Fund, whereby the huge task of restoration was carried out to get it back to its’ original condition, whilst complying with the newer regulations.
The main engine telegraph and its bell are located both in the engine room and on the navigation bridge. A responsible officer from each of the departments handles the telegraph from these locations.
There became a need for an additional telegraph for use in the event of a problem with the main telegraph, with the parts sourced from various locations to keep the visual authenticity. This in turn created a need for a one-off switch for the selection by the bridge officer to indicate the direction and speed required of the main engine. This was kindly donated by Kraus & Naimer Ltd based in Newbury. The switch itself was made to the specification of the Chief Engineer, a bespoke 12 position multiway switch.
Almost all of Waverley’s machinery including the impressive 2100 IHP main engine, steering and all the main pumps are powered by steam from her two massive oil fired boilers.
The Waverley continues to be maintained in excellent condition with its’ towering funnels, timber decks, gleaming varnish and brass. Sustenance of this relies on the goodwill of businesses to keep costs to a minimum and in turn giving the wonderful opportunity to sail on a paddle steamer to as many people as possible.